Friday, May 22, 2009

Rick's Angel


Guardian Angel

A coworker at work, Rick, wanted me to paint this for him, as it means a lot to him. So, after a bit of trial and error with the substrate, I got this painted. I'm actually really pleased with it. I worked fairly large, larger than a 16x20 for sure. I also did this in acrylics, something I'm still not used to working in. The only thing that needs to be done is I have to spray it and give it at least a satin finish, because the matte acrylic just looks way too chaulky for me.

My palette was fairly large (for me) and I had a white, a black, a warm red, a cool red, a warm blue, a cool blue, and of course yellow ocher. I used liquitex heavy body acrylic medium on shellacked vellum. Yes, odd, I know. Worked well, too. He asked for it on very thin paper, and nothing wouldn't wrinkle so I had to seal it. 

I was so sure I would have so many more problems with this than I did, I'm terribly pleased with the way it came out. I haven't done a master copy (can I refer to this as that? It was what I was thinking while I was painting it) in so long, and I didn't want to paint it exactly, and I didn't want to go way out on a limb. I think I hit a pretty good balance. I painted loosely, but everything still pulled together well. 

Hopefully, in about five or ten days, I'll have the other painting finished. And then I can move on with my life. Yes.

Ja!

No comments: