The actual photograph I was working with was completely washed out. Full frontal lights, and forty some odd years of fading. There wasn't a whole lot to go on feature wise and a lot of this, frankly, I made up.
I added some color to the shadow so it wasn't a dark gray, I made sure there was some semblance of a mid tone, and I made sure people could distinguish between the lightest and the highlights. No washing out. Much. I'll post a picture of the photo later so you can see exactly what I was looking at. Believe me: I fixed problems. Her hair really was /that/ large. It had a lot less red in it. Truthfully it had a lot less color in it from fading, and I did my best to make it look better. It's not her, it's just what so many years do to not light fast inks!
Two more posts on this commission and tomorrow I start something completely different! Three new small commissions, will have two done tomorrow, maybe three if I get the information I need, and one larger pencil work I hope, but that'll keep me busy for a week or two!